WVBKA HONEY SHOW
SCHEDULE OF CLASSES
HONEY CLASSES 1 – 7 inc
- TWO 454gm JARS OF LIGHT HONEY, see rule 4a
- TWO 454gm JARS OF MEDIUM OR DARK HONEY, see rule 4a
- TWO 454gm JARS OF GRANULATED OR SOFT SET HONEY, see rule 4a
- NOVICES TWO 454gm JARS OF CLEAR OR GRANULATED HONEY, see rule 4a
- TWO 454gm JARS OF HEATHER HONEY, see rule 4a
- ONE SHALLOW COMB OF HONEY SUITABLE FOR EXTRACTION , see rule 4c.
- ONE CONTAINER CUT COMB HONEY (minimum net. weight 250gms)
- ONE PLAIN CAKE BEESWAX. (cake to be between 400-500 grammes and not less than 25mm thick)
CLASSES 1 – 8 INC. ARE OPEN TO ALL EXHIBITORS, BUT THE AWARD OF CUPS AND TROPHIES WILL ONLY BE MADE TO THE HIGHEST PLACED MEMBER OF THE WYE VALLEY BEEKEEPERS’ ASSOCIATION
* NOVICE CLASS IS CONFINED TO MEMBERS WHO HAVE NOT WON A PRIZE PREVIOUSLY IN A HONEY SHOW OR A PRIZE IN THE W.V.B.K.A. NOVICE CLASS.
OPEN CLASSES 8– 11 inc.
- THREE MATCHING MOULDED CANDLES TO BE DISPLAYED ERECT – ONE TO BE LIT BY THE JUDGE
- THREE MATCHING CANDLES OTHER THAN MOULDED – ONE TO BE LIT BY THE JUDGE
- ANY EXHIBIT CONNECTED WITH BEEKEEPING including photographs- see rule 4e
- ONE BOTTLE MEAD, see rule 4d
OPEN COOKERY CLASSES 13 – 15 inc.
- HONEY FRUIT CAKE – AS PER STATED RECIPE IN HONEY SHOW RULES *
- HONEY WELSH CAKES – AS PER STATED RECIPE IN HONEY SHOW RULES
- HONEY COOKIES – AS PER STATED RECIPE IN HONEY SHOW RULES
CHILDREN’S CLASSES 15 – 17 inc.
- UP TO 8 YEARS - MODEL/PAINTING ON A BEEKEEPING THEME
- 9 TO 14 YEARS - MODEL/PAINTING ON A BEEKEEPING THEME
- YOUNG BEEKEEPERS - ANY HIVE PRODUCT OR PRODUCT MADE USING A HIVE PRODUCT.
OPEN HONEY TASTE CLASS 19 – BLACK JAR
19. ONE 454gm JAR OF ANY HONEY (contents obscured)
– see rule 4f
HONEY SHOW RULES
1. Entrance Free
2. Exhibitors may submit as many entries as they wish in any class but may only gain one prize per class. No exhibit may be entered in more than one class
3. Exhibitors must label every jar, section or other exhibit with labels supplied by the Entries Secretary. Labels MUST be affixed ½" from the bottom of jars and bottles and on the top of frames and sections. On wax, the label must be affixed to the container or showcase and a duplicate label affixed to the wax. No other label, mark, trademark or identification will be allowed on any exhibit.
4. Presentation of exhibits
a. Extracted honey MUST be exhibited in 454gm (1lb.) B.S. clear squat jars,
b. B.S. Grading glasses will be used to determine the colour of honey.
c. Shallow comb MUST be exhibited in a glass showcase.
d. Mead MUST be exhibited in a clear white glass wine bottle of approximately 25/26 fl.oz or 75cl. They must be without lettering, fluting or wording of any kind. Bottles must be corked with PLAIN FLANGED stoppers, which must be removable without the assistance of any mechanical aid e.g. a corkscrew.
e. Entries in Class 10 MUST be accompanied by a brief explanation in ink and block capitals on plain white paper.
f. Entries in Class 19 MUST be exhibited in 454g (1lb) BS squat jars. The exhibitor is responsible to ensure that all the surface of the jar is obscured with material or tape so the judge is unable to make any visual assumptions about the contents.
g. No exhibit must be moved until the Show is officially declared closed and all the exhibits must be checked out and released by the Steward.
5. In the case of a tie the competitor having the largest number of highest awards shall be awarded the trophy.
6. Regarding ALL awards: THE DECISION OF THE JUDGE WILL BE FINAL.
7. All trophies and cups are Perpetual and MUST be returned to the Association Secretary prior to the commencement of the next Honey Show
8. All ordinary care will be taken of exhibits, but the Association cannot be held responsible for all loss, damage or accident sustained by or to any exhibit in any way.
RECIPES FOR COOKERY SECTION:
HONEY FRUIT CAKE – TO BE BAKED IN AN APPROXIMATELY 7″ ROUND TIN.
8ozs self-raising flour; 5ozs butter or margarine; 2 eggs; 8oz honey;
4ozs sultanas; 4ozs currants; 2ozs peel; a pinch of nutmeg; a little milk may be added if necessary.
HONEY WELSH CAKES
227gm self-raising flour, ½ tsp. Nutmeg, ½ tsp. Salt, 113gm butter or margarine, 56gms sugar, 56gms currants, 1 tblsp. Honey.
1 Tablespoon Clear Honey
3oz Butter or Margarine
2oz Porridge Oats
2oz Self-raising Flour
1oz Desiccated Coconut
For a printable version of this please click on the bee